Meaning: “the day which follows nedjelja“
Source: from an old Slavic word which meant “second”
Meaning: “the middle day”
Meaning: “the fourth day“ (
četiri – four)
Meaning: “the fifth day“ (
pet – five)
Source: from the word “Shabbat”.
Meaning: “day with no work”
A couple of interesting asides ...
- It's not uncommon for Croatian kids to mistakenly refer to
subota (Saturday) as “šestak” (
šest – six) when they first learn the days of the week.
- Above we've listed the days of the week beginning with Sunday, however it's worth noting that in Croatia the first day of the week is typically considered to be Monday.
- Unlike with English/German, in Croatian the days of the week are not capitalised, except when used at the beginning of a sentence.
Talking about the days of the week in Croatian
Talking about a specific day
To talk about doing something on a specific day of the week, the preposition u is used with the accusative case, for example:
Vidimo se u subotu.
– I’ll see you on Saturday.
Igram tenis u utorak.
– I’m playing tennis on Tuesday.
Idem na posao u četvrtak.
– I’m going to work on Thursday.
Talking about recurring events
When talking about reoccurring events which occur on the same day each week, the instrumental case is used, for example:
Subotom idemo u kino.
– We go to the cinema on Saturdays.
Utorkom igram tenis.
– I play tennis on Tuesdays.
– I work on Thursdays.
Exercise: Some useful vocabulary to learn!
Test yourself with our vocabulary trainer!
Below you'll find a multiple choice quiz for the days of the week set. If you enjoy the quiz, take a look at our vocabulary trainer page, there are lots more word groups to test yourself on!
Which word means: next Monday
0 questions answered
0 correct answers
0 incorrect answers
14 words remaining