Dear friends of Školica,
I'm writing to you from the outdoor terrace of the Hotel International in the centre of Crikvenica. The sun is shining, the weather is a very pleasant 28°c and football fever is rife (Croatians are football-crazy!).
With this short letter, I hope to get you excited about our upcoming language holiday in August and also tell you a little about my hometown.
Welcome to Crikvenica
Crikvenica has been a popular tourist destination for over 130 years. It was the Austrians that came first to enjoy the healthy and pleasantly mild Mediterranean climate.
Today the town organises a Fishermen's Week, offers a modern aquarium with over 150 species of fish, a "love path" through the local nature, a town museum and various art galleries.
Event programme – August 2018
As many of you know, the language holidays isn't just about learning, but also about having fun! Below we've listed a few of the events planned in Crikvenica this August.
Almost all of the events take place in the new town centre, which is about 10 minutes on foot from Vila Ruzica.
- 11.08. – Festival "Summer in Kvarner", traditional dances and music performed by numerous folklore and dance groups, choirs, wind orchestras and majorettes from different countries.
- 12.08. – 12th Grand Prix Crikvenica (fishing contest)
- 14.08. – Town of Crikvenica day (entertainment programme, night procession, fireworks)
- 16.08. and 23.08. - Primorska noć - visitors will have the opportunity to sample and buy local and natural products, such as homemade cheese, honey, jam, brandy and liqueurs. Some of the stands will be offering original souvenirs and handicrafts, ideal as a gift or a memento from your holiday.
- 17.08. and 21.08. - Music Summer Nights in Crikvenica
- 18.08. and 24.08. - 7th International Folklore festival "Adriatica Folk Fest"
- 18.08. and 22.08. - Summer nights with Big Band "Swingery"
- 20.08. - Performance by Vatroslav Lisinski Cultural club, Crikvenica
Boat trip to the island of Krk
The nearby island of Krk is also "a must" for every visitor to Crikvenica. Sailing on an open-top boat from the town harbour we spend half a day visiting Vrbnik, one of the oldest settlements on the island.
Following a guided tour of the town, we visit a traditional wine cellar to try one of the region's best wines, Vrbnička Žlahtina, served (of course) with „pršut i sir“.
I hope that I managed, with this brief letter, to pass on my enthusiasm for my hometown! See you soon in Crikvenica,
Further information on our language holiday in Crikvenica: