Beaches in Croatia
About Croatian beaches
The coastline in Croatia varies greatly, with everything from secluded bays and coves to wide open beaches with dramatic cliffs backdrop.
Types of beaches
The majority of the beaches along the Croatian coast are rocky (about 75 percent), with the remainder (around 25 percent) being pebble beaches. Sandy beaches are uncommon, however every decent beach (near towns) offers a tiny section with sand for children.
Beaches near towns include pathways and cement terraces to make access to the sea easier. These "constructions" are normally created in an environmentally sustainable manner, and in certain locations (Opatija Riviera, for example), it's difficult to imagine the shore ever being different or more beautiful.
The water is typically not very deep, so even inexperienced swimmers may enjoy it. In any case, beach shoes are strongly advised for Croatia's beaches.
Choosing your beach
Avoid the crowds
The most crucial piece of advice for picking a beach is to avoid going to the nearest beach, which is generally crowded.
In Croatia, there is no private coast; practically all beaches are public, and the whole coast is a beach.
Find your own spot
Try to discover a piece of it for yourself, or hunt for an island - you may hire a boat and get to some of the most beautiful areas that are difficult to access by road.
If you go by driving outside of the cities, you will see an unusually large number of cars parked along the road - this "notes" that a lovely beach is nearby.
Most popular beaches
Some of the most popular Croatian beaches are those on the Dalmatian Coast - such as Zlatni Rat on the island of Brač, which is known for its distinctive rocky outcrop that extends into the Adriatic Sea.
Other popular beaches include Rabac on the Istrian Coast and Baška Voda on the Makarska Riviera.
Peace and quiet
If you're looking for a more peaceful beach holiday, away from the crowds, there are plenty of quieter beaches to choose from. For example, the island of Lopud is home to several lovely sandy beaches, or you could visit the small town of Cavtat on the Dubrovnik Riviera, which has several rocky and pebble beaches.
Whatever your preference, Croatia's beautiful beaches are sure to impress - so start planning your holiday today!
Our learning coordinator Anđela is here to help!
We’ll be happy to tell you more about our language school and the learning options we offer. Feel free to contact Anđela directly for a chat about any questions you might have!